Friday, August 10, 2012

Berry Baked Oatmeal

It's hard for me to believe that it's already August. 

Berry Baked Oatmeal

It's always sort of depressing when summer starts to come to an end. The sun sets a little sooner, the weather is a little cooler, and packing for school is always on my mind. 

But, with only a few glorious weeks left of freedom, why not celebrate? Like I did with some Berry Baked Oatmeal. This "boatmeal" is warm and colorful, just like the best days of summer.  


Berry Baked Oatmeal

1/3 cup oats
1/3 cup mixed frozen berries
1/3 cup non-dairy milk
1 Tbsp applesauce
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp vanilla
sweetener of choice (brown sugar, maple syrup, stevia) 

Preheat oven to 380 degrees F. Mix together all of the ingredients then transfer to an oven safe dish such as a ramekin. If you want the oatmeal to come out, spray with a bit of cooking spray. Bake for 18-20 minutes until firm. Set your oven to a high broil and place oatmeal on top rack for 2-4 minutes until top is golden brown. 



I adore this plate. My mom and I picked it up from a sale at a Christmas shop a few years ago. I just love how it makes anything you eat look like something out of Alice in Wonderland. I'd have a tea party with the Mad Hatter any day. 



While in the oven, the berries will "pop" open, giving you more bursts of flavor throughout the oats! 


This recipe is low in saturated fat, high in dietary fiber, and has no cholesterol. 

What's your favorite summer food?




Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...